You are invited to come watch the Christmas Parade this year!
Read our Spectator FAQ’s below:
1. Where can I watch the parade?
Viewing locations along the route are available on a first come, first served basis; however, this is the perfect opportunity to demonstrate some holiday cheer to your fellow parade viewers!
Feel free to bring lawn chairs and/or blankets to sit on. Show a little extra kindness and courtesy to children and those with limited mobility, stay down in front so those behind you don’t miss seeing their favorite parade entry. And while we all love dogs (especially those dressed up for Christmas), your dog needs to be on a leash and crowd-friendly.
The parade can be viewed from the sidewalk on both sides of the street along the route. (Exception: the sidewalk in front of the new courthouse site is closed.) There will be barricades at all intersections along the parade route to keep the audience out of the street and to allow avenues for pedestrian crossing.
There will be a parade marshal at each barricaded intersection to keep these areas clear and to facilitate safe emergency crossing, and there will be a large contingent of uniformed police officers posted throughout the area.
2. Where is parking for the parade?
First and foremost, we cannot stress enough how important carpooling is.
• Street Parking –Street parking is available on a first come, first served basis. If you park on the street, make sure you obey all posted signage and restrictions and do not block any driveways or alleys. Please do not park in any private parking lots unless you have express permission from the property owner to do so.
Contracted towing companies, not the Police Department, are authorized to tow vehicles from most private lots. If you are towed the day of the event, please call Fredericksburg Police Headquarters at 540-373-3122 option #2.
There will be no parking along the parade route and on some adjacent side streets beginning at 2:00 p.m. on the day of the parade. There will be signs in place to indicate the restrictions. The Police Department will have vehicles towed on Saturday afternoon that have not been removed from the street.
• Handicap Parking – Designated handicap parking is available in the VRE drop off lot. There are 13 spaces available. Please see parade map for location.
• Parking Garage– The city parking garage will be available for $2.00 per car.
• Parking Lots – Please look at the parade map for the Sophia St parking lots that will be open.
3. What streets are going to be closed on the day of the event?
Please refer to the parade map. The streets along the parade route and some adjacent side streets will be closed to vehicular traffic beginning at 2:00p.m. The roads will remain closed until city maintenance crews finish cleaning the route – all streets are expected to be open by 9 p.m.
Note: Sophia Street will remain open in the northbound direction only for the duration of the event.
4. What is the timeline for parade day?
Streets will close and towing will begin at the parking lot bound by Sophia St., Frederick St., & Caroline St. at 2:00 p.m. From around 4:00pm-5:30pm participants start arriving in designated time slots (provided at participant meeting in November) to their spots. See the parade map for street/lot closings.
5. Where are restrooms along the parade route?
There will be portable restrooms at various locations around the parade route, and the permanent facilities will be available at the Visitor Center and at City Hall. Refer to the parade map for details.
6. Am I allowed to have alcohol at the event?
Use of alcoholic beverages is absolutely prohibited. Disregarding this rule will result in immediate removal from the parade.
7. How do I volunteer to assist with the parade? Please visit our Volunteer page for more details
8. Who were the winning groups?
We will announce the winners here after the parade.
9. Do you have a Lost and Found?
A Parade Representative will be next to the judges stand to collect lost and found items. Children who are separated from their group will be taken to the judge’s stand. Adults who are separated will ALSO be taken to the judge’s stand.
10. Who is the main point of contact for the parade? How do I get in touch with them?
Fredericksburg Parks & Recreation is the main point of contact for the parade. They can be reached at 540-372-1086 or at fredchristmasparade
Fredericksburg Parks & Recreation is open Monday-Thursday 9am-8:00pm, Friday 9am-4:30pm and closed Saturday and Sunday. Administrative offices have different hours of operation however; the front desk can assist you in person with general questions.
Drones are prohibited at the Fredericksburg Christmas Parade.